Assigning different wall constructions to external walls of a single block

Forum for DesignBuilder EnergyPlus simulation users to exchange views and questions. Posts regarding use of Detailed HVAC should go to the EnergyPlus HVAC forum

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

aliempyreal

Assigning different wall constructions to external walls of a single block

Postby aliempyreal » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi

I am trying to assign three different wall constructions to 4 walls of a rectangular block of building. I can use sub surfaces to assign a second wall type (to the original external wall type) but couldn't find a way to add a third wall construction.

To make the problem clear: the north and south facing walls need to have solid wall construction, west wall should have cavity wall construction and the east facing wall (which is a party wall) needs to have different wall construction to give u-value of 0.5W/m2k.

Thanks
Ali
Luis Sousa

Re: Assigning different wall constructions to external walls of a single block

Postby Luis Sousa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:03 am

Dear Ali,

If each wall has only one construction type covering the total surface area then probably the approach will be to navigate to the surface level and assign the construction here instead.

The sub-surface approach is normally used when the same wall surface has more than one construction type.

BR,
LS
h_hassan77

Postby h_hassan77 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi Ali and Luis,

I am understanding Ali's question is about: How to "define" several (External wall) construction type. Not only "assign".

I recommend, drawing another adjacent zone as the cavity part.
and you can assign its zone type at the zone level as cavity.
Which leads to a new adjacent zone (cavity), which is unoccupied.
Which means you can assign the internal wall as (semi-exposed wall) construction type.

The two similar walls, assign them as (External wall).

The (Party wall), which have different U-value, maybe you can use the (sub-surface) approach.

But I think there's no way to "define" several (External wall) construction type.

Maybe I wrong, but it's just a trial,
Best wishes,
Heba
Luis Sousa

Postby Luis Sousa » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:04 am

Hi,

Just to add that if the idea is to split the wall surface then using a hanging partition might do the job. Then navigate to surface level and apply the wall construction there. The data introduced at surface level will change to red colour.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Luis

Return to “EnergyPlus General”