Problem with temperature gradient - merged zones

Forum for DesignBuilder CFD users to exchange views and ask each other questions

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

salvofranzoni

Problem with temperature gradient - merged zones

Postby salvofranzoni » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Hello,
I am experiencing an issue with the way temperature gradient is shown and calculated in a building where i merged several zones that are connected by whole-surface-large holes. I have 4 floors and I have merged the "zones" representing the atrium on each floor/level (4 different building blocks).

The problem itself is in the display of the CFD temperature gradient and its calculation, because right in between ground floor and first floor I have a non-existing "gap" (where no gradient is shown) in it which not only causes the gradient not to be "continuous", but calculations to be wrong since the temperature profile is not correct (temperature rises from the floor until the gap, then after the gap i have a much lower temperature that starts rising again after the "discontinuity" until the roof).

I have created the model with DB version 3, then switched to version 4. When I tried to run the calculations in DB 3, the gradient was correctly calculated and shown, something that does not happen in v4.

Could someone advice how to solve this?

Thank you!
Luis Sousa

Postby Luis Sousa » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:39 am

Hi,

Perhaps you could considerer running the CFD calculation in the model where all blocks are merged in one single block (using the boolean tool) and no holes are present.

BR.
Luis

Return to “CFD”