How to Simulate Ac split type unit that connect to grid but not district cooling?

Help and discussion on using the Detailed HVAC option

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

Tom.kp

How to Simulate Ac split type unit that connect to grid but not district cooling?

Postby Tom.kp » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:19 am

Dear Experts,

I’m writing to kindly ask to for advice regarding my designbuilder simulation on HVAC system.

1.How to simulate a split type AC unit?
I have input the information on "model options data tap" and "HVAC Tab stting" as in the pictures below
- Please kindly advise regarding my input information.

2.Why the simulation result always show “District cooling”?
- The simulation result always shows that the electricity for cooling came from District cooling but not from the grid.
- Could any one please explain why? and how to simulate "How to Simulate Ac split type unit that connect to grid but not district cooling?"

Thank you so much in advance,

Best regards,
Tom
Attachments
HVAC Tab setting.jpg
"HVAC Tab stting
HVAC Tab setting.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
Model Options Data.jpg
model options data tap
Model Options Data.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
Luis Sousa

Re: How to Simulate Ac split type unit that connect to grid but not district cooling?

Postby Luis Sousa » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:14 am

Hi Tom,

When using Simple HVAC option the heating/cooling system is modelled using basic loads calculation algorithms.
The EnergyPlus ZoneHVAC:IdealLoadsAirSystem system is used to supply hot/cold air to meet heating and cooling loads. With this simple approach the HVAC components are not modelled and all loads are met by the District cooling/heating.

See program help for more information:
http://www.designbuilder.co.uk/helpv5.0 ... Output.htm

BR,
Luis
Tom.kp

Re: How to Simulate Ac split type unit that connect to grid but not district cooling?

Postby Tom.kp » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:05 am

Hi Luis,

Thank you so much for your advise, I changed model option from Simple HVAC to Compact HVAC. The electricity for cooling is now from the grid.

BR,
Tom
arjundesai

Postby arjundesai » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:49 am

Hello,

I am trying to model split AC type in multiple zones, and as I read above, I now know that I will have to model in detailed mode only. But then do I have to model separate unitary systems for each zones? I have 111 zones in total. If I have to apply one system per zone this will increase the confusion. Can I apply 1 unitary system for all zones? Will design builder take that as split ac for all zones?
Luis Sousa

Postby Luis Sousa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Hello,

Split unit is a zone unit and needs to be placed on each zone accordingly. You do not need to navigate 111 times to add this HVAC component. It can be easily defined in DesignBuilder interface in one go using the HVAC zone Group where you can assign the 111 zones. These zones will automatically allocate the HVAC system you define in the HVAC Zone Group.

For more information see:
https://designbuilder.co.uk/helpv5.2/#D ... Groups.htm

BR,
LFS

Return to “EnergyPlus HVAC”