Simulation with District Cooling component on Detailed HVAC

Help and discussion on using the Detailed HVAC option

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

NQ

Simulation with District Cooling component on Detailed HVAC

Postby NQ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi,
I'm using the district cooling component on the Detailed HVAC setting of DesignBuilder. The only variable to enter in this component is the Nomical Capacity, which can't be Autosized. I'm assuming I can approximate the nominal capacity from the Design Capacity of the Total Cooling Load, would this be the right approach? Also, how can I enter the annual efficiency of the district cooling system if that's known for my project?

Thanks,
Natalia
Attachments
District Cooling.JPG
District Cooling.JPG (105.39 KiB) Viewed 6887 times
Luis Sousa

Re: Simulation with District Cooling component on Detailed HVAC

Postby Luis Sousa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi Natalia,

The upcoming V5.2 release will allow the Nominal Capacity to be Autosizable.
In v5.0, if you want to use the Nominal capacity value calculated by the Autosize then the work around will be to run one simulation with the default values and then look at Summary tab> Report: Component Sizing Summary > DistrictCooling table > Design Size Nominal Capacity for the autosize calculated capacity value. Take note of this number and on the District cooling component dialog replace the default value by the calculated number. Then re-run the simulation.
Design size Nominal Capacity.PNG
Design size Nominal Capacity.PNG (11.44 KiB) Viewed 6872 times

BR,
LFS
Luis Sousa

Postby Luis Sousa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:27 pm

> " Also, how can I enter the annual efficiency of the district cooling system if that's known for my project?"

No, with District Cooling (Detailed HVAC) its not possible to define the COP. Any energy consumption estimation needs to be post processed.

BR,
LFS
NQ

Postby NQ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 pm

Luis,
Thank you for your reply. Do you have additional guidance or examples on how to post-process the energy consumption when using the District Cooling component on Detailed HVAC? Should I simply assume that the energy consumption of Cooling on the End Use results would be equivalent to supplying cooling with a District Cooling plant with a COP of 1, that could then be substituted for a different COP?

Regards,
Natalia
Luis Sousa

Postby Luis Sousa » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi Natalia,

I'm afraid that I don't have any examples. And yes you can consider the District cooling plant with a COP of 1.

Luis

Return to “EnergyPlus HVAC”