Converting weather data files for climate change

Forum for DesignBuilder EnergyPlus simulation users to exchange views and questions. Posts regarding use of Detailed HVAC should go to the EnergyPlus HVAC forum

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

mfouadmahdy

Converting weather data files for climate change

Postby mfouadmahdy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:00 pm

Dear Design Builder,

You mentioned that the user can use the Edit/Translate Hourly Weather Data dialog to process hourly weather data for various reasons such as: Generating modified weather data sets for investigating climate change scenarios.
Unfortunately I am completely not aware of this process; Can I use this tool to modify and generate weather data files for climate change scenarios, e.g. 2020, 2050?
I appreciate your advice and comment.

Kind Regards
Mohamed
designbuilderbig

Postby designbuilderbig » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:33 am

I'm not aware of any automatic tool to do this. I only know a hand full of people that can do it. Dru Crawley and Linda Lawrie at http://www.climate.onebuilding.org/WMO_ ... fault.html are converting TRY2010 to epw. There are TRY sets for future weather 2030 and 2050, but the conversions are still not posted. They have the skills to create future weatherfiles (this is Dru's area).

Joe Huang at whitebox technologies, can do this for you as well.

Finally, you could try Chuck at weather analytics.

I would not try this myself, unless I really knew what I was doing.

Hope that helps,

Jean
h_hassan77

Postby h_hassan77 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:57 pm

Maybe if you can gain the temperatures, and RH % etc.
You can edit an existing weather file, and use this feature in DB. to convert it to an .epw file.
But maybe you should tick the check-box of converting the year to 2002.
I don't know the source of the data, but if you can get it, you can convert it using this tool.
maybe you can take benefit from the paper: "The cost of achieving thermal comfort via altering external walls specifications in Egypt; from construction to operation through different climate change scenarios"...
He got the future weather files data from the climate change world weather file generator (CCWorldWeatherGen).
Wish you good luck,
Heba
mfouadmahdy

Postby mfouadmahdy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks Jean and Thanks Heba,

I have solved the problem by using updated data file by ASHRAE and White Box Technologies instead of using the file by US Dep. of Energy. In the beginning the CCWorldWeatherGen tool didn't accept to load correctly the file by US Dep. of Energy, but the updated one loaded successfully.

Many Thanks
Mohamed
Tongquange

Re: Converting weather data files for climate change

Postby Tongquange » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:36 am

mfouadmahdy wrote:Dear Design Builder,

You mentioned that the user can use the Edit/Translate Hourly Weather Data dialog to process hourly weather data for various reasons such as: Generating modified weather data sets for investigating climate change scenarios.
Unfortunately I am completely not aware of this process; Can I use this tool to modify and generate weather data files for climate change scenarios, e.g. 2020, 2050?
I appreciate your advice and comment.

Kind Regards
Mohamed

I still dont know how to make it ,could you please message me or send me an email? my email address is qt695@uowmail.edu.au
lklawrie

Postby lklawrie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:33 pm

Note that the German Try data has now been posted on climate.onebuilding.org
Linda
EnergyPlus Development Team
Firdaous

Re: Converting weather data files for climate change

Postby Firdaous » Sun May 27, 2018 2:29 am

Hello to all

I am working on a project of a hotel, I would like to do the simulation to obtain the need for heating and air conditioning
I downloaded the file "weather data file" of Tangier by metheonorme, I noticed that the degree-days of heating / air conditioning and the basic temperature are totally different compared to the correct values of the city, I have the modified by "tools" --- "weather data file" --- modify, but no change displayed in hourly weather data on the Location tab
That it is the right method to ensure that data is changed
I need help

Thank you in advance

Return to “EnergyPlus General”