HVAC Type depend on hot and cold water source

Help and discussion on using the Detailed HVAC option

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

Radaideh

HVAC Type depend on hot and cold water source

Postby Radaideh » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Dear all, :)

I have a university project but I'm currently confusing which best HVAC system should I use. According to the requirements "The proposed building is served by a natural gas-fired district hot water boiler and an electric chiller. Thus, the proposed mechanical systems must be compatible with a heating source of hot water and a cooling source of cold water". based on this information which the best HVAC system the compatible with that to make my calculation correct.

Thanks
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (137.33 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Luis Sousa

Re: HVAC Type depend on hot and cold water source

Postby Luis Sousa » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi,

I would suggest to start with the "Fan Coil unit (4-pipe) with District Heating + Cooling" and then make the necessary input adjustments afterwords on the HVAC tab.

Note that these templates are for Simple HVAC Model option and it does not really matter which template is selected since all of these Simple HVAC templates uses the EnergyPlus Ideal loads system (District Heating and Cooling) .

As described on the Program Help:
"Simple HVAC - where the heating/cooling system is simulated using the basic EnergyPlus ZoneHVAC:IdealLoadsAirSystem method. This supplies hot/cold air to meet heating and cooling loads. See topics on Heating and Cooling for more on defining the condition of the supply air. Mechanical ventilation loads are calculated locally for each zone. With Simple HVAC, fuel energy consumption for heat generation (typically a boiler or heat pump) and chiller is calculated from zone heating and cooling loads as a post-process using simple seasonal efficiency factors."
https://designbuilder.co.uk/helpv5.5/#_ ... detail.htm

BR,
Luis

Return to “EnergyPlus HVAC”