Multiple simulations

Forum for DesignBuilder EnergyPlus simulation users to exchange views and questions. Posts regarding use of Detailed HVAC should go to the EnergyPlus HVAC forum

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

KDeg

Multiple simulations

Postby KDeg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:31 pm

I have a number of simulations to run and would like to know whether it is possible to set them all up for DesignBuilder to run successively, without the models having to be loaded individually between simulations. If this is possible, how can it be set up?

Thanks
Kristina
bhandari

Postby bhandari » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Kristina,
Current version of DesignBuilder does not have this feature. You can, however, export the idf file, add the additional output variable in your idf file (if desired) and then use EPLaunch to run batch simulations.

Mahabir
jean marais

Postby jean marais » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:45 am

you could also, export to .idf file for each and then run them at the same time with different instances of e+...as far as I know this can be made to work as well. you may even be able to assign different processors to different instances making full use of multi-processing capabilities. unfortunately the e+ code is single core threading only.
jean marais

Postby jean marais » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 pm

After having looked into it and trying it out...

Download and install the same e+ version and build that your version of DesignBuilder uses.

An e+ folder usually appears on your C drive.

Copy this folder (with everything in it) multiple times and rename the folders as appropriate.

Now you can open seperate instances of EP-Launch and launch seperate instances of e+...each one will run on a seperate processor.

This way you can run several idf's on a multi-core machine. This is not multi-core processing on one simulation, simply using all the cores of a machine rather than running simulations on all your collegues PCs to their annoyance.

There also exist a multi-core method for running parametric simulations (same simulation with different parameters), but you'll have to excuse me for not getting into that.
fatemi aghda

Re: Multiple simulations

Postby fatemi aghda » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi. I want to export the idf model from design builder and run it with ep launch. but it reports several error when i export and run idf file.
how can i export and run idf file without error?!
thanks.
Luis Sousa

Re: Multiple simulations

Postby Luis Sousa » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:19 am

Hi,

You can only export the IDF if the DesignBuilder simulation runs successfully first. Please confirm if your model runs a simulation without any problems.

BR,
Luis

Return to “EnergyPlus General”