Simulation Design Output Options
Options model data tab
Name in last EnergyPlus calculation
This read-only information tells you the name used by DesignBuilder to refer to the current zone, surface or opening in the last EnergyPlus simulation. It can be useful for setting up custom report requests or to help identify DesignBuilder data objects in an IDF file.
Simulation output options can be accessed at building, block, zone, surface and opening levels giving you control of the elements in the model for which output data will be generated.
The following options are available at building level only and the same options can also be accessed from the Simulation tab of the Model options dialog and on the Output tab of the Simulation Calculation Options dialog:
- Include unoccupied zones in block and building averages and total
- Building and block output of zone data
- Surface heat transfer incl solar
- Internal gains
- Energy, HVAC
- Temperature distribution
- Daylight map output. When this option is selected it is possible to enter the number of grid cells in x and y directions. EnergyPlus is limited in the number daylight map outputs it can generate and if you request too many EnergyPlus may crash. You may be able to obtain more map outputs by reducing the size of the grids.
- DXF model output
- Construction and surface details
- RDD file
Store surface output
To obtain data for a particular surface or opening you should first navigate to that surface or opening and switch on the Store surface output option. This causes a table of results to be stored for that surface or opening but does not yet select any results. To do this select one or more of these options:
- Store opening/sub-surface output - at surface level and above in the model hierarchy, this is a default value for openings and sub-surfaces. It much be selected for a particular opening if any data for that opening or sub-surface is to be generated.
- Inside Surface Temperature - for surfaces and openings.
- Outside Surface Temperature - for surfaces and openings.
- Surface Heat Gain - for surfaces.
- Glazing Heat Gain - for openings.
- Solar Incident - for surfaces and openings.
- Solar Transmitted - for window openings.
- External Sunlit Fraction - for surfaces and openings.
- Internal Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient - for surfaces and openings.
- External Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient - for surfaces and openings.
- Airflow - data is available at both surface and opening level. At surface level the data includes only infiltration through the opaque part of the parent surface and does any flow through the openings contained on the surface. At opening level the flow includes both natural ventilation through the main opening and also infiltration through gaps. Window infiltration is defined by the selected crack template. Positive flow is flow into the zone and negative airflow is flow out. This is true for both red and blue Airflow data.
Warning: Use these surface and opening options with caution on large models as, when selected, they will cause large amounts of data to be generated and stored. Select only the data you need for the building elements of interest.