DesignBuilder's UK Certification (SBEM and DSM) tools
DesignBuilder combines both SBEM and DSM in the same version, making it fast and easy to switch between SBEM and DSM for all forms of UK certification. DesignBuilder's SBEM and DSM interfaces are fully interoperable with our EnergyPlus interface, meaning that you can simply “flip modes” and use the same base model for all forms of UK compliance modelling, including SBEM, DSM, MEES, BREEAM, TM52, TM59 etc., as well as for design and detailed analysis. Full details of our next SBEM and DSM courses and the DSM exam, all to be run from DesignBuilder’s office in Stroud, are below.
DesignBuilder SBEM for UK Certification Training
This 1-day DesignBuilder course will teach you how to use DesignBuilder’s UK certification interface to improve your productivity when producing EPCs and Building Regulations compliance documents.
The course is suitable for existing energy assessors familiar with other SBEM or DSM tools but new to DesignBuilder, as well as those looking to enhance existing DesignBuilder skills. It is also suitable for non-accredited assessors producing Building Regulations compliance documents. The course will introduce the fundamentals of the UK certification interface using SBEM. The DesignBuilder SBEM and DSM interfaces are almost identical therefore the Day 1 introduction training using the SBEM interface also provides the foundation to attend the Day 2 DSM “top-up” course which focuses only on aspects that are specific to DSM calculations. The Certification Day 1 training will include:
- Introduction to DesignBuilder UK Certification: learn how DesignBuilder can simplify and speed up the modelling process, making you more productive.
- Model geometry made easy: learn how to import floor plans plus a brief model geometry re-cap with “top tips” to aid efficient workflow.
- Faster model data input: learn how DesignBuilder’s industry-leading data management system can save you time and reduce the number of errors in your modelling.
- QA and data-checking your model: learn why many of the accreditation schemes like DesignBuilder, and how using it can reduce audit failures compared to iSBEM and similar tools.
- The training will also include some fantastic new DesignBuilder features such as the new QA-checking tools and new flexible ways to edit glazing such as stretch and rotate tools that allow existing openings to be easily modified.
The training is designed to teach you how to use DesignBuilder for UK Certification via the SBEM interface, and is a necessary pre-cursor to the 1-day DSM training for those new to DesignBuilder Certification. It will take you through the process of creating a model from start to finish by first defining the model geometry and then inputting data to produce EPCs and Building Regulations compliance documents.
This course includes free online preparatory training and a free 30-day DesignBuilder education licence that will enable you to practise and consolidate your learning using the material provided on the course. The course and tutorials are part of an integrated training approach, which also includes a comprehensive user training manual and help system, meaning you can quickly learn to use DesignBuilder at minimum cost. The course is open to members of any accreditation scheme and will qualify for 7 hours of CPD.
DesignBuilder DSM for UK Certification Training
The DesignBuilder DSM interface can be used by appropriately qualified and accredited energy assessors to certify Level 3, 4 and 5 buildings in England, Wales and Scotland. The DSM training is a 1-day “top-up” course that covers all of the essential information relating to the DesignBuilder DSM UK Certification interface when in “DSM mode”.
DSM training pre-requisites
Prior to attending the DSM training course you must either have previously completed the 1-day DesignBuilder SBEM course, or you must have sufficient experience using DesignBuilder to certify UK buildings and be intimately familiar with the DesignBuilder SBEM training manual. Without that foundation you will not have sufficient knowledge to attend the DSM training. If you have not attended the introduction course (DesignBuilder SBEM), but have certified a minimum of 10 buildings using DesignBuilder, and are intimately familiar with the DesignBuilder SBEM training manual, then we will allow you to “self-certify”. Please do not book yourself on the DSM training without this knowledge, as it will be detrimental to you and to the other delegates and trainers.
DSM training course content
During the DSM training you will build on the knowledge gained on the DesignBuilder SBEM for UK Certification introduction course and cover all of the essential information required to quickly and efficiently produce accurate certification outputs such as EPCs and BRUKL documents. During the training you will model a building from beginning to end, and cover the essential information relating to each aspect of the model at the relevant point in the modelling process. The training will also include some fantastic new DesignBuilder features such as the new QA-checking tools and new flexible ways to edit glazing such as stretch and rotate tools that allow existing openings to be easily modified. The DSM training course will include:
- Introduction to the DSM interface and user manual
- Outline main DSM advantages over SBEM, such as more accurate modelling of geometry, daylighting, PV, solar gain and shading and climate.
- Key differences between the SBEM and DSM UK certification interfaces.
- Learn how to “flip modes” to enable you to generate outputs from the same model using either SBEM, DSM or EnergyPlus for more detailed analysis.
- Using one model for multiple analysis types, including for example simulations for BREEAM credits or generating TM52 or TM59 outputs for overheating analysis.
- QA and data-checking, producing and lodging output documents.
- During the day you will create a DSM model “from scratch”, review the main inputs specific to DSM and run EPC and BRUKL calculations.
The DSM training is an essential requirement prior to taking the DesignBuilder DSM exam. For new customers i.e. those that do not yet have the licences required to use the DSM interface, a free licence will be provided to enable you to complete the training and exam. The course is open to members of any accreditation scheme and will qualify for 7 hours of CPD.
DesignBuilder DSM Exam
The National Occupational Standard (NOS) for Level 5 assessors requires assessors to pass an exam in their selected DSM software tool before it can be used to certify a building. The DesignBuilder DSM exam tests a candidate’s knowledge only on the DSM interface (not Regulations and NDEPC Conventions) and should be straightforward for suitably experienced DesignBuilder SBEM users who have completed the DSM training.
The open-book exam is 3 hours long and has two parts. The first part involves answering questions on essential information relating to the DesignBuilder DSM interface (covered in the training and DSM user manual), and the second part involves modelling a building with NOS Level 5 features and producing EPC and BRUKL outputs. The training material and DSM manual can be used during all parts of the exam.
On successful completion of the DSM exam, candidates will be provided with a certificate which the assessor can send to their accreditation scheme to demonstrate competence in the DesignBuilder DSM software.
For more information on the DSM or SBEM software, training and exams please contact DesignBuilder sales.For information on accreditation, please contact your accreditation scheme.