Design engineers, energy assessors, architects, students, whatever your background, DesignBuilder's state of the art 3-D Modeller user interface is refreshingly easy to use helping you to get up to speed in a fraction of the time required for other software.
3-D Modeller key features
- Data entry and storage for all environmental calculations including activity, constructions, glazing, lighting, HVAC, renewables, cost etc.
- Templates provide a quick way to load commonly used data sets into model.
- Building geometry is described by placing 3-D blocks with options to cut, merge, stretch and scale blocks using simple tools.
- Walls, floors, roofs, partitions window constructions are all represented in 3-D.
- Blocks are easily partitioned up into zones by drawing partitions.
- Generate impressive rendered images and movies of your building design including the effect of site shading.
- Once the design is more established and the details of the facade layout are clearer, individual windows, panels, doors, vents etc of any shape can be drawn.
- Zone inner geometry is derived accurately from the outer zone volumes using actual construction layer thickness for individual surfaces giving you accurate floor areas and zone volumes. Alternative options include using inner or outer measurements to define block dimensions.
- Complex building shapes can be created (and subsequently modified) easily using "Boolean geometry" operations.
- The modeller gives a satisfying, responsive feel in use through use of the OpenGL graphics system.
- Hierarchical defaulting allows settings made at the top level of the model (e.g. building level) to be inherited down to blocks, zones and surfaces. In this way a single setting can be applied to the whole model or parts of the model.
- A range of default facade layouts are provided or users can create their own.
- 3-D models can be imported from Revit, Microstation, ArchiCAD and SketchUp using gbXML.
- Building geometry can be imported from 2-D CAD floor plan data and then traced over within DesignBuilder to create blocks and to partition blocks up into zones.
- Latest ASHRAE worldwide design weather data and locations (4429 data sets) are included with the software and over 2100 EnergyPlus hourly weather files are available free using the DesignBuilder 'Install on Demand' feature.
- The software comes with UK NCM and ASHRAE construction, activity and schedule databases.
- Data templates allow you to load common building constructions, activities, HVAC & lighting systems into your design by selecting from drop-down lists.
- Add your own templates if you often work on similar types of buildings.
All packages include the 3-D modeller
The 3-D Modeller is a core feature of DesignBuilder. If you have a license for any DesignBuilder module or package you are able to use the 3-D modeller.