Based on the gold standard open source EnergyPlus simulation engine, DesignBuilder is now the most widely used energy modelling tool in education. University departments like DesignBuilder because it is quick and easy to learn, allowing the teaching process to focus on design and simulation issues. At the same time the software offers researchers unparalleled flexibility through access to EnergyPlus (and Radiance) input files and a range of advanced scripting tools.
We have an active education programme to assist university departments in using the software as part of their teaching process and can offer:
- Substantial educational discounts for universities and research organisations.
- Free student license packages for universities purchasing an educational site license.
- Student personal licences for £50.
- Freely available teaching materials for use on university courses.
- Reduced rates are sometimes available on our commercial simulation training courses to help university staff get up to speed with teaching use of the software.
Discounts for Educational Establishments
You are entitled to a substantial discount on the listed commercial price if:
You are purchasing DesignBuilder to be used exclusively for educational use within a school, college, university or other educational establishment or
You are a commercial organisation planning to use the software exclusively for educational events such as training workshops.
Please make sure you are logged in before you access the discount application form. If you do not have a login and password, please register.
- Fill in our Educational discount application form giving contact details of your organisation and your requirements (you must be logged in to the site first).
- Once we approve your application you will be notified by email. The email will include a discount voucher code. (We usually respond within 48 hours).
- Enter the code during the checkout stage of the online order process to obtain your discount.
Discounted Student Personal License
Student license packs are provided free to educational institutes when they purchase educational site network licenses. In cases where these are not available, undergraduate and postgraduate students wishing to use DesignBuilder on their own computer can apply to purchase DesignBuilder for £50 per year.
Students can obtain low cost Student Personal License in one of 3 ways:
- Directly from their university (if the university has a student license package).
- By applying from this website using the student discount form (you must be logged in to the site first).
- From a local DesignBuilder reseller.
When applying for a student license, you must supply the name of your educational establishment, the department, the name of your supervisor and a departmental contact telephone number. You are not entitled to direct support, other than via the forums.
Once your application is approved, you will be able to purchase the license on the website. You are able to re-apply for a student personal licence after expiry. Support is limited to the on-line tutorials and forums. We are not able to provide support through our help desk for students.
If you plan to use DesignBuilder for research projects or you need to install the software on a computer at your school, college or university you should purchase an educational license instead of a student one.
Student licenses have no restrictions apart from one or two reporting options which are only required for commercial users.
Please make sure you are logged in before you access the student discount application form. If you do not have a login and password, please register.